A Killing Week with Agatha Christie! 10 October 2010Posted by Ryszard Oślizło in agatha christie, Contests, crime, crime writing, detective, detective fiction, devon, Great Britain, Literature, UK, writer, Writers.
Tags: Agatha Christie, book, contest, England, Great Britain, millionaire, quiz, UK
The last week in September at W. Korfanty High School in Jastrzębie Zdrój proved to be absolutely killing. Following the example of the English Riviera, along with the rest of the world, the students took part in the exciting Agatha Christie theme week to celebrate the 120th anniversary of the Queen of Crime’s birth year. The celebrations were arranged and prepared by English teachers, Ryszard Oślizło, Katarzyna Śnieg and Kinga Głowacka helped by the committed students: Magdalena Tęcza, Agnieszka Marszał, Sandra Pałka, Bartłomiej Brandys, Klaudia Reszka, Klaudia Fryzowicz, Krystian Nowak and Adam Piernikarczyk.
The Queen of Crime
Agatha Christie is the best-selling novelist in the world and her books have been translated into nearly every foreign language. Only the Bible and Shakespeare’s works sell better than her 79 detective-stories which made her detectives, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple, as famous as their creator.
During the Agatha Christie Week at W. Korfanty High School more than 40 students took part in various competitions, quizzes, special events and creative tasks. Moreover, after attending a series of lessons and watching a programme on the life of Dame Agatha, there was no one at the school who wouldn’t know who Agatha Christie was, what she wrote and why she is so famous.
Those who wanted to take part in the multi-part competition could choose to do the tasks they liked best: some designed Agatha Christie book covers or wrote reviews, others made theme projects, enjoyed the quizzes or the special edition of the Who wants to be a millionaire game show where all the questions concerned the life and works of Agatha Christie.
Become a Detective
Everyone could even try their hand at a little detective work! There were 4 clues hidden on the premises of the school (the victim, the method, the motive and the scene of crime) to be found and used to guess which book they came from. A similar game with different clues was prepared for the Think English website users from all over the world.
For each project, quiz or game the participants collected points and the winners who managed to collect the most of them were rewarded with excellent prizes, such as: a PC Game And Then There Were None, 2 DVD films (Death on the Nile and Sad Cypress), 7 different books by Agatha Christie and her autobiography.
Out of up to 100 points to collect, the winners obtained as follows:
I. The Agatha Christie competition (projects, quizzes, clues games):
1. Bartłomiej Brandys (IV g T): 90 points,
2. Małgorzata Reguła (III b T): 70 points,
3. Patrycja Sikora (III b T): 50 points,
4. Ewa Lipok (kl. IV b T): 45 points,
5. Madgalena Dzierża (II a LO), Magdalena Tęcza (IV f T), Sandra Pałka (IV f T): 40 points,
6. Daniel Jasiński (III c T): 37 points,
7. Patrycja Krzemińska (III b T): 35 points,
8. Anna Juszczyk (II d LO): 25 points,
9. Szymon Kondratowicz (III c T): 20 points,
10. Agnieszka Wachholz (IV g T), Adrian Malinowski (II a LO): 10 points.
II. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: Agatha Christie:
1. Bartłomiej Brandys, Martin Zieliński (IV g T),
2. Patrycja Sikora, Małgorzata Reguła (III b T),
Dominika Zając, Sylwia Mazurkiewicz (III d LO),
3. Szymon Kondratowicz Daniel Jasiński (III c T).
Congratulations to all the winners and a massive thank you to the committed participants and helpers. Agatha Christie made us do it but it was you, who did it!
More Fun for Think English users
The Think English website have some special treats for its users: you can all still enjoy some of the games and quizzes, see some photos and as a reminder of the Agatha Christie Week you can download a Think Christie wallpaper:
1. A Think Christie wallpaper (CLICK to download!),
2. Who Wants to be a Millionaire: Agatha Christie (to be found in the FOR TEACHERS BOX soon),
3. Photos (CLICK to see the slideshow!),
4. Two Agatha Christie Quizzes (Click to download: QUIZ 1, QUIZ 2),
5. Become a Detective online game (CLICK to find out more),
6. Theme-projects made by the students (CLICK to see – soon).